& DISTRIBUTION UPGRADES
Why do we need to upgrade BELCO’s transmission & distribution assets?
- BELCO’s Transmission & Distribution (T&D) assets are well beyond their useful lives, which result in a higher number of faults due to system vulnerability and higher maintenance costs. Nearly 25% of current underground transmission cables are 60+ years old; this will increase to 40% within 10 years.
- Distribution upgrades will improve reliability, reduce costs, expand grid capacity.
- The upgrades will enable the provision of new, value-added services for our customers.
- This project supports the expansion of renewable energy in Bermuda.
- Upgrades are needed in order to meet the demands of new developments in the east and west ends of the Island including: the Morgan’s Point and Town of St. George hotel developments and marinas, the new airport and the Solar Photovoltaic Finger project adjacent to the Airport runaway.
Replace underground transmission cables, upgrade distribution assets and facilities and implement advanced metering technology.
What are the details?
- Substation switchboard replacements
- Grid transformer upgrades
- Transmission cable replacements
- Critical distribution infrastructure reinforcement (i.e. schools and cell towers)
- Grid modernization projects such as Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI)
- Increased system reliability
- More cost effective supply of electricity
- Operations that are safer and cleaner for the environment
- Greater insight for customers into their electricity consumption
- Improved data utilization will enable BELCO to improve outage restoration performance and reduce operational costs.
"With the replacement generation and transition to liquefied natural gas, we will save approximately $26 million each year."
DIRECTOR PROCUREMENT & LOGISTICS
"As power generation evolves, liquefied natural gas is used more. It is more efficient, safer for the environment and cost effective."
WASTE & WASTE WATER PROCESS CONTROLLER
"The older the generator, the harder it is to ﬁnd the correct manufactured part. Sometimes we have to fabricate parts to make it work."
SPECIALIST ELECTRICAL FITTER
"The old power station has seen its time…the challenges that exist are real."
"Working with the older generators is ineﬃcient – they’re a challenge to work on every day and as they age, more problems occur."
SPECIALIST MECHANICAL FITTER
"Some days can be frustrating. We trouble shoot the same issues over and over."
FOREMAN - PLANT OPERATIONS
"With the replacement generation, fuel emission levels will drop considerably. There will be a positive impact on the environment and for the population of Bermuda."
SENIOR PLANT ENGINEER
"Once we convert to liquefied natural gas, we will have a more stable electricity rate moving forward."